Monday, May 20, 2013

Spring Smiles

I am what is affectionately called a resimuter here at Drexel, as I live close enough to actually walk to school, but not in a school building. I live a mile or so away, at the edge of where Drexel Safety goes. I know there are several other students living in my building, and more up and down my block, mixed in with other residents of the neighborhood. I notice, though, that we hardly ever talk to each other, let alone to the other neighborhood residents. We are all in such a busy hurry scurry to get to class that we rarely stop for a second to give a smile and a friendly hello. With spring now here and the weather  a bit nicer, we are all spending more time outside and come in contact with everyone more frequently.  The other day I walked past a gentleman who was out taking care of a garden that I always admire on my walk. I made it a point to take out my headphones for a second to say how much I loved walking past his beautiful flowers. He smiled in response and said "Thanks, that's what it's there for!" Then I continued to hurry to class, but found I was now smiling too. So these last couple weeks of spring quarter, I am going tomake it a point to say hi to more people, as I walk to class, instead of putting in my headphones and tuning out the world. I encourage you to do the same, as maybe you'll meet someone who will brighten your day as well.

~Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment