Monday, November 1, 2010

It's the littlest things that make the biggest difference

A chill of brisk winter air greeted me as I walked through the door into the bright crisp air of November. There are so many great holidays to celebrate during this month, it's the time to be grateful for all of those people in your life that have given you that extra bit of inspiration day to day and given you the strength to make it through those hard times. Thanksgiving is not just all about the courses upon courses of delicious food and pumpkin pie; make sure you spend some extra time telling your friends and family how much you really do appreciate them. I know for me I'm usually so busy with school and work I forget about some the people and moments that really matter. Sometimes we have to push our work aside to remember the little things that make life worthwhile.

November is:
American Diabetes Month
Building a Community Library Month

I just read on the Daily Digest that Drexel Public Safety has dedicated the Month of November to Building a community Library in order to keep with President John Fry's neighborhood initiative vision. I think this is such a wonderful vision, giving a child the chance to read books is one of the greatest presents a child can receive in my opinion. As a child I never loved reading, it was something I struggled with at the beginning, but through the years after forcing myself to read aloud and practice I have turned into somewhat of a bookaholic. Reading allows a certain kind of escape for the mind, it allows me to retreat into a different world. Sometimes it is a world of adventure and danger, other times it is a world of love, hope, and magic. Instead of watching television before bedtime, my little brothers and sisters sit in their beds and read books. The pages filled with captivating pictures and stories allows even a child as young as two to create a story all their own using their imagination. It's amazing to watch a child interpret a story and what the different pictures on each page represent to them and what the characters mean. Books and reading is one of those things that is irreplaceable, technology can never fullfill the same pleasure of cracking open a brand new book.

So put down the cell phone, turn off the i pod, turn your head away from the tv and play some board games and read some books with friends and family. Enjoy the simple pleasures that your childhood was filled with, and forget all those high technology devices that have made life deceptively easy yet unnessecarily complicated, at least for the month of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment